The game of roulette is considered the king of all games in the online casino world. The game has come a long way since the famous mathematician Blaise Pascal invented the game in the 17th century. It is the most thrilling casino game ever, involving a casino dealer, or croupier, spinning a number-pocketed wheel. Keep reading to learn lots of exciting things regarding this game, how to play it, where to play it, and what you should bet on.
Each pocket on the wheel has a number and is either red or black. The game starts when the dealer spins the white ball in the opposite direction of the wheel spin. While the roulette wheel spins, players can place their bets on numbers where they believe the ball will land. The betting continues until the dealer announces that no more bets are accepted. After the ball lands, a winner is determined, and the game proceeds further.
With the emergence of online casinos, gamblers found online gambling even better. When you play in online roulette casinos, you, as a player, spin the wheel. The game goes faster, and there are no other distractions. However, if you play live dealer roulette games online, then it will be the same as if you are playing in a land-based casino.
The Roulette Wheel and Table
Typical online roulette wheels have pockets from 0 to 36, but numbers can vary depending on the roulette game. In online casinos, you will find roulette variations with 37 or 38 pockets, but most online casinos offer variants with 36 pockets.
The roulette table is the place for placing bets. It has many numbers and sections, but it is very easy to understand and read the table. After you decide where you think the ball will end up, you place your bet on that spot on the roulette table. The more precise your wager, the higher the payouts for you will be.
Different Types of Online Roulette
Online roulette casinos offer many variations of the game, including live dealer roulette. The most popular versions of roulette online are European, French and American Roulette. Each version of the online roulette game has a set of special rules, so we will explore those too. In all the best online roulette sites, you will find the following versions of this game.
European Roulette has a wheel with 37 pockets, containing numbers from 1 to 36 and a single-zero. Because of this reason, it is also called single-zero roulette. The house edge of European roulette is 2.70%. European Roulette is a game played in Monte Carlo and throughout most of the world, as well as on roulette casino sites in Canada.
French Roulette also has a wheel with 37 pockets, but the wheel includes special announced bets too. Many casino players call these – French bets because they have French names: Tiers du cylinder, Voisins du Zero, and Orphelins. The French roulette version has been very popular in Monte Carlo and France but is especially popular with high rollers everywhere in the world.
American Roulette comes with a 38-pocket wheel, with the numbers 1 to 36, zero, and double-zero. The house edge in American roulette is 5.26%. American Roulette is a game played in Las Vegas and throughout North America and is also very popular on casino sites in Canada.
In Multi-Ball Roulette, there can be several balls in play at a time. Players bet in the same way as in other, more traditional variants, and they can select how many balls they want to use when they play roulette online. The odds of winning in this game variant are higher because two balls cannot land on the same pocket.
Many online casinos offer multi-wheel roulette games with up to 8 wheels active. Players can select how many wheels they want to use, and no matter how many you choose – all games are played in the European roulette variant with only one zero.
This is a standard roulette, with the exception being that it comes in a mini variant. Usually, this game comes as a small side game on online casino sites. The mini-roulette wheel has numbers from 0 to 12 and features a single zero.
Playing Roulette For Free Vs. Playing For Real Money
Both of these have their set of advantages. Here are things in favour of one another.
Roulette for free:
- No registration or download needed
- No financial or personal information necessary to play
- Players can test their luck and skills for free, developing roulette strategies before registering
- No cap on playing time when you play online roulette for free
- Players can easily find the roulette games variants that suit them best
Roulette for real money:
- More variants to choose from to play
- Unlike roulette for free, players can get lucrative real-money bonuses, special promos, or some great welcome bonus when they join a real-money online roulette site.
- Players can earn points when they play in an online roulette casino as a part of the casino’s loyalty program.
- Live dealer roulette is only available to real-money players
How To Play Roulette Online
Now that you know about the different online roulette variants of the game, it is time to start playing online roulette games.
So how to play online? All you need to do is select a number, a group of numbers, even or odd numbers, a column, or bet on colours red or black. Playing roulette online does not require a croupier to spin the wheel, as you can do that by clicking a button. The pocket where the white ball will land is the winning number. If you bet right, you will receive a payout based on your bets on the table. If you are wrong, then the casino collects the bets.
Besides betting on a number, there are plenty of other bets you can make on the roulette table. The great thing is that players have many ways to win. The two primary types of roulette bets are Outside and Inside bets. Here is the explanation for each category and the bets you can make.
Outside bets are better for those that want less-risky bets. These have better chances for the player, but the payout is also smaller. The concept behind outside bets is that you are not betting on a specific number but on specific categories. These bets happen outside of the field with numbers, hence the name Outside Bets. Here are the most common types of outside bets you can make when playing roulette casino games.
Players bet on the colour of the number, and the payout of such a bet is 1:1. This is one of the most basic roulette bets that a player can make.
Players are betting on whether the winning number will be odd or even. Again, the payout is 1:1, but players should remember that if the ball lands on Zero or Double-Zero, they will lose their bet.
Players bet that the winning number will fall in the low category (1-18) or in the high category (19-36). The payout is still 1:1, and the wager is lost if the ball lands on 0 or 00.
Players bet on sets of 12 numbers. They can bet on numbers between 1-12, 13-24, and 25-36. If the winning number is within the group the player bet on, the payout will be 2:1.
Players bet on one of the three squares on the roulette table that says 2:1. Each square represents a column of 12 numbers. Players bet in a similar fashion as when they place Dozens bets, but in this case, the numbers are different.
Inside bets are for those players that want to take more risks, searching for a higher payout. The concept behind inside bets is that you are betting on specific numbers inside the number section on the roulette table, hence the name Inside Bets. Here are the most common types of inside bets you can make when online gambling at roulette casino games.
This means betting on a single number on the table. If you correctly guess the number, you will receive the highest payout of 35:1. It is a simple bet to make but hard to hit.
Players bet on two numbers sitting next to each other. If the ball lands on either of the numbers, you win, and the payout is 17:1.
Players bet on 3 numbers at the end of a row. If one of the three numbers is a winning one, the payout is 11:1.
Players bet on a corner where there are 4 numbers. This is similar to the previous street bet, but your winning chances increase by adding one more number. If one of the four numbers land, the payout is 8:1.
Players bet between two rows sitting next to each other, each containing 3 numbers. Now you are betting on a group of six numbers, and if one of them is the winning one, your payout will be 5:1.
Basic Real Money Roulette Tips To Follow
When it comes to strategies, an important thing to know is that no strategy will improve or turn the odds in your favour. That is because roulette is a game of luck, and there is no way to change that. However, the great thing is that roulette does not come with complex rules to learn. The only things you need to remember are the winning odds of different types of bets and the overall betting structure of the game. Also, you should learn more about different roulette variants and how they impact the odds.
When it comes to casino roulette things that you should avoid the following are some of them:
- Forget using betting systems. Someone may tell you they have the best winning system for roulette, but the truth is that no system is perfect and will never give you an edge in this game. Real-money roulette games always favour the house, no matter the system you use.
- Avoid progressive betting when playing at online roulette Canada sites. Some people claim that the Martingale system can help you recoup losses quickly and make decent profits, but you may end up bust in no time. Never increase your bets after a losing bet, and just focus on having fun playing online roulette.
- Do not look at the electronic tally board to check previous outcomes. These boards tell which numbers landed previously, separating the numbers in the Hot and Cold groups depending on how frequently they landed. However, hot and cold streaks are just an illusion that may confuse you. The online roulette wheel is balanced, which means each spin is entirely independent of other spins.
Playing Live Dealer Roulette at Online Roulette Sites
Many Canadian players are fans of playing roulette with a live dealer. Such games offer great ambience and make you feel as if you were physically present inside a casino. Live dealer roulette games are amazing, and all the best online casinos offer such games with a live dealer. And not just roulette, but other table games too.
Online casinos usually license some reputable gaming provider, such as Evolution Gaming, who specialize in offering live dealer games for casinos. These games are streamed from live studios in real time, and players can enjoy High-Definition streams.
Evolution Gaming has numerous live game options in all top online casinos. Canadian players can try their luck in roulette, poker, blackjack, and baccarat. There are also table games in different languages, so anyone can enjoy a pleasant online gaming experience.
Payment Methods for Playing Online Roulette in Canadian Online Casinos
It is always a good idea to know your deposit options before playing in any online casino. The following are the most popular options for casino players.
- Credit/debit cards. These are the most popular options available in any online casino. Debit and credit cards can be used both for making deposits and withdrawals, which is not always possible with other payment methods. Visa and MasterCard are top options to use when depositing in the best roulette casino online.
- E-wallets. There are many digital wallets out there, most of them being widely available in online casinos. Skrill, Neteller, Paypal, ecoPayz, and Interac are some of the best options available for Canadian players. E-wallets are safe and great options to use, as they have extra layers of security for making transactions.
- Cryptocurrencies. Crypto deposits are available in many popular casinos today, and more and more are starting to accept them. Cryptocurrencies are a safe, secure, easy-to-handle, and very fast method to use in online casinos. There are no processing times, and privacy and anonymity are both guaranteed.
Play Roulette By Claiming Great Bonuses
Bonuses are an amazing element that boosts players’ bankrolls. You will easily find a nice welcome bonus in many great casinos, which you can use for playing popular casino games such as roulette. We recommend you get such a welcome bonus before opening an account, maximize your deposit amount and start exploring interesting roulette variants such as Dragon Jackpot Roulette, Premium European Roulette, European Roulette Gold, and other variants.
Besides the Welcome Bonus, which most casinos offer, you can also find some nice no-deposit bonuses, loyalty bonuses, reload bonuses, cashback promos, and other interesting offers that can give you a boost when looking to play roulette online.